This casserole-like dish hits the spot when you’re in the mood for a hearty pasta recipe. Serve right away for the best flavor and texture.
2 sprays cooking spray
2 1/2 cups fat-free skim milk
12 oz. uncooked pasta, gemelli or other twisted pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. table salt, for pasta cooking water
1/2 cup uncooked onions, diced
10 oz. uncooked broccoli, small florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup low-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, sharp-variety
1 tsp. salted butter
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 1/2 tsp. table salt
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
Yield: 8 Servings
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water according to package directions, adding broccoli to water 3 minutes before pasta will be done; drain pasta and broccoli and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add bread crumbs and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer crumbs to a small bowl; stir in 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese and set aside.
- In same saucepan (wipe clean if necessary), whisk together milk and flour until blended; add onion. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Pour over cooked, drained pasta and broccoli; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle top evenly with bread crumbs. Bake until bubbly at edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces and serve. Yields 1 piece per serving.